Game Day Chili with Salsa
This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FieryFallFlavors #GreenMountainGringo #CheckOutOurBackside
Game Day Chili is sure to be a hit with your family this fall! This delicious chili is prepped in 5 minutes, and thanks to the addition of Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa, there’s no chopping required! Game Day Chili is quick and easy so it’s perfect for any occasion or night of the week.
Using salsa to make chili is so convenient– it will be your new favorite way to add flavor with very little prep work! We like the fresh taste and all-natural ingredients found in Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa. The variety of peppers such as jalapenos, Pasilla peppers, and serranos are a delicious combination that give just the right heat to this chili.
This chili recipe is flavorful but contains only a few ingredients so be sure to make them count! Green Mountain Gringo® products are high quality and contain clean ingredients you can feel good about– they invite conscious consumers to “Check Out Our Backside”
Use the Green Mountain Gringo® store locator to find their great tasting products today!
- Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa – this replaces the onions and peppers so no chopping required! Using salsa gives a great balance of flavor and it has the right blend of spices that are perfect for a chili!
- plant-based (meatless) grounds – gives a traditional heartiness and makes this chili a filling meal
- canned crushed tomatoes – adds flavor and serves as a base for the chili
- canned beans (pinto and kidney) – for texture, flavor, and protein
- vegetable broth (or water) – just enough liquid to keep the chili comforting but not too much that it’s soupy
- Spices – chili powder and some paprika for flavor and a little kick
- brown sugar – adds a little sweetness (without overpowering the spice)
- cinnamon – adds depth to chili (gives warmth without heat) Cinnamon is optional but really gives that concession stand chili flavor
- Salt and pepper – add these to taste
This chili can be made in a slow cooker (our favorite method, shown) or on the stove top. See full instructions and substitutions in the recipe card below.
Add Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa along with remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
Give everything a good stir. Cover and let cook.
Stir once or twice during cooking. Depending on the type of plant-based meat you’re using, you may need to add a little water during cooking (this is optional, and only if you prefer a soup-ier style chili)
Once chili is cooked, stir well before serving as desired!
What to Serve with Chili:
The best part about a dish like chili is its versatility! We like the following toppings for a dinner or tailgating table but the options are easy to adapt to suit any dietary preferences.
- Green Mountain Gringo® Original Tortilla Strips add some crunch and saltiness. They’re dippable and hold up to thick chili!
- chopped white or yellow onions
- shredded cheeses (try a Colby blend or a sharp cheddar)
- sour cream
Game Day Chili makes great leftovers, too! Try it over baked potatoes or fries, top Green Mountain Gringo® Tortilla Strips for a plate of nachos, or freeze the extras for later in the fall. Use the Green Mountain Gringo® store locator and find their great salsas to make your Game Day Chili the best!
Game Day Chili with Salsa
- 16 ounces Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa substitute mild or hot
- 13 to 16 ounces plant-based (meatless) grounds
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces canned pinto beans, drained
- 16 ounces canned dark red kidney beans, drained
- 16 ounces vegetable broth substitute water
- 2 Tbsp ground chili powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
Toppings as desired:
- Green Mountain Gringo® Original Tortilla Strips
- shredded cheese
- chopped onions
- sour cream
To fix chili in a slow cooker:
- Add all ingredients (including Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa) to a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. If possible, stir once or twice during cooking (add a little water or broth if needed) but try not to leave lid open too long. Stir before serving.
To cook chili on the stove top:
- In a large pot or Dutch-oven, combine plant-based grounds with the Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa and 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or water). Cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until mixture is heated through.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, uncovered.
- Once chili is boiling, stir and turn heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (adding more broth or water if needed).
- Let chili cool before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze in an airtight container (leaving headspace) for up to 4 months.
- This chili can also be made with hamburger or ground turkey— sauté the meat with a little oil until browned and cooked through, then drain and add to slow-cooker before adding remaining ingredients and cooking as directed.
- For richer tomato flavor, stir in a little tomato paste or add in a small can of tomato sauce.
- If cooking on the stovetop, chili is ready in under 30 minutes but can be simmered for longer (about 1 hour) for depth.