Wow–where has January gone? It’s flying by! I knew this month would feel weird to me for many reasons (I’m temporarily apart from Andrew for work, we’re about to fully move to St. Louis, and I’m in my last few weeks coaching a group of cheerleaders I’m going to miss terribly). But I didn’t expect the month to feel like it’s going by quickly and slowly at the same time–is that possible?
January may be disappearing and getting colder and more gray and blah but there are some beautiful winter apples around right now. I get a few in each Misfits Market box and this recipe is perfect for someone wanting a dessert with only 4 servings (or just for me over a few days haha).
You don’t need anything fancy for this easy apple crisp– just a few good apples and pantry staples. I think I love this dessert because it’s not fancy– easy to make and delicious. And of course, super adaptable to dietary preferences. Give it a try next time you want something sweet but not too sweet 🙂
- 1.5 Qt casserole
- 4 c diced apples = 3 lg or 4 med. apples
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- ¾ c rolled oats
- ½ c AP flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small casserole dish (1.5-2 qt), stir together apple filling ingredients (apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice). Break up any pockets of dry ingredients and toss all apples to coat evenly.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Rub in cubed cold butter: working with your hands, combine butter into dry ingredients to form large clumps. Continue until all butter is incorporated and a crumbly pastry is formed.
- Break off pieces of pastry and scatter to top apple filling completely. Some loose clumps are okay.
- Bake crisp on middle rack of oven on 375°F for 30-35 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy as is or with ice cream or yogurt. Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to 5 days.
Hope you all have a wonderful week ahead! My agenda consists of a few basketball games, final packing, and hopefully some time with family. I’ll be making at least one or two desserts this week since I have fruit and chocolate that needs using up 🙂 Keep up to date with me on Instagram (@thedachshundmom) and try something new in the kitchen! -Emma