I love all things coffee related and coffee flavored. I honestly don’t use coffee for the caffeine (maybe I’m odd and immune?)– we drink coffee right before bed and have no problems lol. I think I drink it just because I love the taste. But we go through an amount of coffee in our household that would rival Country Cookin’ at the weekend breakfast buffet. Thankfully, we never seem to run out and we never waste what we make. It’s too good to waste, amiright?
Well, if you’re like us and you love coffee flavored things and especially love coffee ice cream (yum!) then you’ll love this Coffee Buttercream! Seriously–tastes like melted ice cream on top of a cupcake–what could be better? (maybe on fudgy brownies…)
Try Coffee Buttercream on Mocha Cupcakes for a delicious, coffeehouse inspired treat
- ½ c vegetable shortening
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp Instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp fine salt
- In a small cup or bowl, stir the instant espresso powder into the water until dissolved.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the shortening on high speed until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add in 1 cup of powdered sugar. Stir in the vanilla, espresso, and salt. Scrape sides of bowl and return to low speed.
- Add in remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Begin with 3 cups of sugar and add more if desired.
- Pipe onto cupcakes or other dessert. Store unused frosting tightly covered and refrigerated.
I hope you love this frosting as much as we do! It definitely fits the bill for coffee lovers so try this next time you need a fix 🙂 Stay tuned for more recipe and have a great week!