No-Bake Vegan Chocolate Pie
Delicious, creamy, and classic egg-free pudding pie. Made with almond milk and plant-based butter (no tofu). Pudding comes together quickly on the stove, and filling is great in a variety of pie crusts (Oreo, graham, or baked pastry shell). Serves 8.
Happy Pi(e) day, everyone! Here’s an easy recipe for a delicious chocolate pudding pie that will make you want to celebrate!
This recipe for Vegan Chocolate Pie is a creamy, no-bake version perfect for every occasion. It’s simple, flavorful, and satisfying. We love this pie because it comes together in less than 15 minutes and it’s made with pantry ingredients we always have on hand.
Ingredients for Vegan Chocolate Pudding:
This recipe calls for almond milk (I’ve used regular and unsweetened both with good results). Substitute with your favorite non-dairy milk. Some options (like coconut) may change the flavor slightly.
Flour is the thickening agent here and works well without any chalkiness.
How to Make A Vegan Chocolate Pudding Pie:
- Choose your crust: Oreo, graham cracker, pastry or chocolate pastry*
- Make the Almond milk Chocolate Pudding: a quick, stovetop recipe ready in less than 10 minutes
- Assemble the pie: fill the prepared crust and let chill at least 4 hours
*if working with a homemade pastry crust, it needs to be baked and completely cool before filling. Pastry crusts are our preferred pie crust for chocolate pie but other crusts are more convenient.
- Stirring everything together before cooking is important for uniform texture.
- Constantly whisking once the heat is added is also necessary to avoid sticking or clumps.
- Adding vanilla after cooking brings the flavor forward.
- Butter is also added at the end to help break any lumps and create a smooth finish and texture.
- Beat 2 minutes with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer. An immersion blender would also work well. By hand requires a little extra oomph!
- Chilling uncovered for an hour helps keep the pie from sweating from any residual heat of the pudding
- Chilling an additional few hours is important for the filling to fully set before serving
Can No-Bake Chocolate Pie be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make this chocolate pie up to 3 days ahead of time.
For best results, chocolate pudding pie should be completely chilled and set before decorating with whipped cream and/or chocolate shavings.
How to Serve a No-Bake Chocolate Pie:
Keep this pie chilled until ready to serve. It’s best straight from the fridge. Pie can be left out at room temperature for up to 1 hour.
Can Chocolate Pudding Pie Be Frozen?
For best results, chocolate pudding pie should not be frozen. Ingredients such as almond milk tend to change texture and flavor when frozen.
Looking for other desserts? Try These:
No-Bake Vegan Chocolate Pie
- 2 or 3 quart pot
- hand or stand mixer
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups plain almond milk
- 9 inch pie shell (chocolate, graham, baked pastry, etc)
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer bowl), add the butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and salt until evenly combined. Slowly whisk in the milk and stir until dry ingredients are fully incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Turn heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes, or until mixture is thickened and creamy. Immediately remove from heat when pudding thickens.
- Use a rubber spatula to pour pudding mixture into the bowl. Beat on medium speed until filling becomes shiny, smooth, and fully combined, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour filling into a prepared pie crust and spread to level top. Place in refrigerator uncovered for 1 hour then cover and let chill for an additional 3 hours to set completely.
- Serve pie with whipped cream, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers and enjoy within 3 days.
- If using a classic pastry shell, it should be pre-baked and fully cooled before filling.
- Chilling the pie uncovered for an hour helps keep the pudding filling from sweating
If you’re looking for a great recipe everyone will love, this vegan chocolate pie is it! Next time you want a quick and cooling dessert, give this a try and let me know what you think.