Cranberry Salad Dressing
This cranberry vinaigrette dressing is made with cranberry sauce (store bought or homemade) and red wine vinegar. Pair it with a variety of salads or use on a club sandwich for extra flavor. Vegan. Recipes makes 1.25 cups (10 ounces).
Make a festive Cranberry Vinaigrette with just a few ingredients and less than 5 minutes! Cranberry sauce gives a nice sweet-tart flavor and lots of color to this delicious dressing.
This is one of our favorite uses for leftover cranberry sauce from the holidays, but it’s a great vinaigrette recipe to have year round. Serve it on salads, on vegetables or meats, or use as a sandwich spread.
Cranberry sauce – store bought or a homemade version. If yours has orange zest or any spices, it will add a little extra flavor.
Oil – canola, olive, safflower, walnut, almond, etc. Use whatever you like or have on hand. Good quality oils will yield better flavored dressings.
Red wine vinegar – provides the acidity for the dressing
Stone ground mustard – this helps emulsify the mixture and adds some contrast to the sweetness of the cranberry
Salt and pepper – add these to taste
Add all ingredients to a blender cup (or a deep-sided bowl) and blend until emulsified.
Store in the fridge at least 4 hours and use as desired, within a week.
For the cranberry sauce: use cranberry preserves or compote, or use seedless raspberry or a similar jam
For the red wine vinegar: use white wine or apple cider vinegar– these are less intense in flavor
If you want more sweetness: if your cranberry sauce is on the tart side, add in a Tablespoon of honey or agave
For depth: add in 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Cranberry Sauce Salad Dressing is a delicious way to add tart sweetness to greens and more:
- Dress an arugula salad with berries, pecans, and Asiago (or similar cheese). Top with a grilled protein for a full meal.
- Serve over roasted squash or with other roasted veggies like Brussels sprouts
- Add cranberry dressing to a homemade McAlister’s Deli club sandwich in place of mayo or mustard.
How can I make this dressing without a blender?
Add everything except oil to a medium bowl and whisk together to combine. While whisking vigorously, slowly stream in the oil to emulsify the mixture.
Dressings made by hand will need to be shaken before use.
Do I need to chill the dressing before use?
Yes! Storing the dressing for a minimum of 4 hours before use is a necessary part of making a good vinaigrette. This time in the fridge gives all the flavors a chance to come together and settle.
Which oil is best for this cranberry vinaigrette recipe?
Any type of oil will work! Different oils will impart different flavors. Sweet olive oil and good canola oil give the best neutral flavors.
Use walnut oil to make cranberry walnut vinaigrette with a delicious subtle walnut flavor.
Cranberry Salad Dressing
- small blender or immersion blender
- 1/2 cup oil olive, walnut, safflower, etc.
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce substitute cranberry preserves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add all ingredients to a hand blender (or a deep sided bowl for use with an immersion blender) and blend until well combined.
- Place dressing in an airtight jar and refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours before use).
- Use dressing within one week.
- If your cranberry sauce is unsweetened (or less sweet): add some maple syrup, honey, or agave to taste
- This vinaigrette can also be made by hand with a whisk, but it may be less emulsified (creamy).