Homemade Apple Butter
Delicious homemade spiced apple butter made in a slow cooker. Recipe uses 5 pounds of apples and makes 3 pints (6+ cups). Apple butter is great for breakfast, brunch, or baked goods. Vegan.
Servings 100 Tbsp
6 quart slow cooker
pint or half pint jars
- 5 pounds apples (a variety if possible) = 10 large or 15 medium sized apples
- 1/2 cup apple cider substitute apple juice
- 1½ Tablespoons lemon juice = juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Prep Apples + Ingredients
Wash, peel, core, and roughly chop apples. Add the prepped apples to the slow cooker along with the apple cider and lemon juice. Stir.
In a medium bowl, stir together the sugars, spices and salt. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples and stir everything well to coat, breaking up any pockets of dry ingredients.
Make the Apple Butter
Set slow cooker to low (8-10 hours). Cover and cook until apples are broken down, mixture is thickened, has a deep brown color, and resembles chunky applesauce. Stir gently to combine.
Carefully using an immersion blender, blend apple butter in pockets to reach desired consistency or until any remaining liquid is incorporated.Apple Butter will continue to thicken slightly as it cools.
- 5 pounds of apples is the weight before peeling, coring, or chopping.
- Use a variety of fresh apples for best flavor.
- If you do not have an immersion blender, use a regular blender to process until desired consistency. Use caution with the hot apple butter.
- Yield is about 3 pints (between 6 and 7 cups of apple butter). It's best to store this in half pint or pint jars so the jar gets used within the recommended time frame (4 to 6 weeks once opened).
Serving: 1Tablespoon | Calories: 22kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.5g | Sodium: 0.5mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 4.81g | Calcium: 3mg