Easy Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Elegant, sweet, and simple dessert to make at home. Perfect for all holidays and occasions throughout the year. Homemade, quick and easy dipping chocolate uses no candy coating (chocolate bark). Vegan. Makes 16 large strawberries.
Servings 8 people
medium sheet tray
- 1 c chocolate chips, any (semi-sweet, milk, white)
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 lb strawberries, with caps
- Optional: sprinkles, crushed cookies, nuts, or chocolate for drizzling
Wash strawberries and let dry on paper towels. Line a medium sheet tray with wax paper.
Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a medium microwaveable bowl. Microwave on half power until mixture is melted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir after every 30 seconds to avoid burning. Mixture should be shiny and smooth.
Dip the Strawberries:
Strawberries should be completely dried before dipping. Holding by the cap, dip a strawberry into chocolate until mostly covered. Hold strawberry above dip to let excess chocolate drain. Set covered strawberry onto wax paper and avoid moving. Repeat with remaining strawberries. leaving 1 inch between each berry.
Optional: if decorating the strawberries is desired, set up a second bowl/tray for toppings. Sprinkle toppings onto the strawberries with a spoon or by hand after they are dipped. Working over a second bowl keeps decorations out of the dipping chocolate.
Place tray of berries in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to firm up before serving. Serve immediately or refrigerate, uncovered, for up to 2 days.
Tips for Better Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
- Look for firm strawberries, free of blemishes and soft spots.
- Avoid all moisture in the dipping chocolate-- melting bowl should be clean and dry and all berries should be completely dried with a paper towel before dipping. Moisture can cause chocolate to streak more easily.
- Drain off as much excess chocolate as possible for better presentation (excess will pool on the wax paper if not drained).
- Leaving stems/caps on the berries makes them prettier, plus it's easier to dip and eat them.